See newsletters here / calendar below on this page
Let’s get ready for West Chester Porchfest May 21!
Saturday May 21: music, dance, poetry, food trucks, info tables, children’s activities, and more. Volunteer your porch, sponsor the event, or put it on your calendar to enjoy.
See the performance schedule and locations here.
We are planning a special occasion for you to come out to celebrate springtime and music. WCGT has partnered with Mayor Lillian DeBaptiste of West Chester Borough to sponsor this free fun family-oriented event on May 21 with performances and exhibits from S. Church St. to S. Bradford Ave and W. Miner to Dean St., and in Everhart Park.
Many neighbors have offered us their porches, and bands and solo performers have volunteered their talents. From jazz to Appalachian mountain folk music, from rock bands to Spanish guitar, we are offering something for everyone. Food trucks and picnic tables at Ironworks Church and children’s activities at Everhart Park will add to the festivities. In case it rains, rain date is the 22nd.
Porchfest originated in Ithaca NY 15 years ago and has spread to dozens of communities across the country. Neighbors meet neighbors as they stroll around listening to the music. We are hoping to start a new community tradition.
Find out all about it here.
Many thanks to our dedicated Porchfest sponsors:
“I believe that natural beauty has a necessary place in the development of any individual or any society. I believe that whenever we destroy beauty, whenever we substitute something man-made and artificial for a natural feature of this earth, we have retarded some part of man’s spiritual growth.” — Rachel Carson
The West Chester Green Team, a civic organization in Chester County PA, works to educate the local public and to establish and nourish green initiatives in the community in harmony with nature and each other, promoting the health of all living things and of planet Earth.
Our Latest News
See all news under Blog in the top menu or by clicking here.
About the West Chester Green Team
WCGT is passionate about helping people live their daily lives in a green, sustainable and community-oriented manner. We work through a board of a dozen activists, plus hundreds of members. We invite all area residents to join us in taking action!
Our areas of focus are:
- Climate and Energy: Promoting green energy and combating climate change. Read more here.
- Community: Building community through events oriented to the earth and the arts. Our membership in Transition US underlies all of our above areas plus others such as our Front Porch Concerts program, new in 2022. Read more here.
- Gardening and Food: Encouraging people to plant and maintain gardens and trees, including the West Chester Tree Team. These activities fall under the Living Landscapes program, part of West Chester Area Transition. Read more here. Plant for the Planet!
- Pesticides and Herbicides: Pressing to reduce use of toxic chemicals in our daily lives. Read more here.
- Reducing use of plastics, especially single-use plastic bags and straws. Read more here.
- Other issues where we can all make a daily difference in environment and sustainability. Next on our list are to start up a Water Team (dealing with storm water, stream quality, flooding, water retention, rain gardens, tap water quality…) and a Dark Sky Initiative (against light pollution at night, which is disruptive to both humans and animal species). If you’d like to help on these new initiatives, or have additional ideas, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com.
Our scope is approximately the West Chester Area School district or about a 10 miles’ radius around West Chester Borough. We occasionally share news and events for the whole of Chester County as well.
As an independent environmental organization, we help our communities become more environment-conscious and sustainable, educate residents about green living, urge municipal and county governments to support our efforts, and ask businesses to become our allies. We need you; the planet needs all of us!
See our Bylaws and officers here.
Are you with us? To sign up for our email list or to contact us or donate, please email here. Please let us know your interests and which municipality you live in. We don’t have formal memberships or dues but welcome all supporters to our list; and we can also connect you to other groups throughout Chester County.
Learn about our history here.
Our header shows one of West Chester’s marvelous front yard gardens, fully visible from the street, in all its summer glory.