Download our Jan. 2022 newsletter here!
Among many other highlights of 2021 see also…
by Courtney Finneran
Even during the midst of the ups and downs of the COVID-19 pandemic, 2021 turned out to be a successful and dynamic year for the West Chester Tree Team and the Living Landscapes Committee….
Read here about six impressive 2021 projects: street plantings, Goose Creek invasives removal, lawn to native pollinator garden conversion, Green Man garden tour, Chestnut St. hellstrip garden, and Chestnut St. garage alley garden.
Congratulations to leader Courtney Finneran and all team members who made these great contributions to West Chester’s environment and streetscape attractiveness!
Many thanks to all who supported our work by participating in our 2021 online auction! And please look in your email for our upcoming January newsletter.
“I believe that natural beauty has a necessary place in the development of any individual or any society. I believe that whenever we destroy beauty, whenever we substitute something man-made and artificial for a natural feature of this earth, we have retarded some part of man’s spiritual growth.” — Rachel Carson
The West Chester Green Team, a civic organization in Chester County PA, works to educate the local public and to establish and nourish green initiatives in the community in harmony with nature and each other, promoting the health of all living things and of planet Earth.
Our Latest News
See all news under Blog in the top menu or by clicking here.
About the West Chester Green Team
WCGT leaders are passionate about helping people live their daily lives in a green, sustainable and community-oriented manner. We work through a board of about ten activists, plus hundreds of members. We invite all area residents to join us in taking action!
Our areas of focus are:
- Climate and Energy: Promoting green energy and combating climate change. Read more here.
- Community: Building community through events oriented to the earth and the arts. Our membership in Transition US underlies all of our above areas plus others such as our Front Porch Concerts program, new in 2022. Read more here.
- Gardening and Food: Encouraging people to plant and maintain gardens and trees, including the West Chester Tree Team. These activities fall under the Living Landscapes program, part of West Chester Area Transition. Read more here.
- Pesticides and Herbicides: Pressing to reduce use of toxic chemicals in our daily lives. Read more here.
- Reducing use of plastics, especially single-use plastic bags and straws. Read more here.
- Other issues where we can all make a daily difference in environment and sustainability. Next on our list are to start up a Water Team (dealing with stormwater, stream quality, flooding, water retention, rain gardens, tap water quality…) and a Dark Skies program (against light pollution at night, which is disruptive to both humans and animal species). If you’d like to help on these new initiatives, or have additional ideas, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our scope is approximately the West Chester Area School district or about 10 miles’ radius around West Chester Borough. We occasionally share news and events for the whole of Chester County as well.
As an independent environmental organization, we help our communities become more environment-conscious and sustainable, educate residents about green living, urge municipal and county governments to support our efforts, and ask businesses to become our allies. We need you; the planet needs all of us!
See our Bylaws and officers here.
Are you with us? To sign up for our email list or to contact us or donate, please email here. Please let us know your interests and which municipality you live in. We don’t have formal memberships or dues but welcome all supporters to our list; and we can also connect you to other groups throughout Chester County.
Learn about our history here.
Our header shows one of West Chester’s marvelous front yard gardens, fully visible from the street, in all its summer glory.
See our calendar below. You may prefer (upper right) Agenda view, listing events in order. See also the broader Chesco Environment calendar here.