from West Chester Borough Sustainability Advisory Committee
West Chester Borough is taking steps to curb single-use plastic waste. In July 2019 Borough Council approved an ordinance banning single use plastic bags and straws in West Chester, effective July 2nd 2020.
- September 2018 – local students ask Council to address single use plastic bags and straws
- July 2019 – Ordinance written and public hearing held. Council votes to approve ordinance
- July 2020 – Enforcement begins July 2nd
What do businesses need to know?
- As of July 2nd 2020 distribution of plastic bags and straws will be prohibited within the Borough
- Any bag distributed to customers must include 40% recycled content and be recyclable in the Borough. This is considered a “compliant bag”
- Businesses are required to charge 10 cents per compliant bag distributed to customers, and disclose this fee on the sales receipt
- Any business may request a year-long exemption for review by the Borough’s Sustainability Advisory Committee
- Businesses observed to be violating the ordinance will receive a written warning, then a $100, $200, and $500 fine for successive violations in a single 12-month period.